We have been doing blogs, speaking on various platforms, hosting various programmes and activities about the dangers online, how predators are using online platforms to reel in their victims etc. and advice on how to keep safe.Two of such blogs amongst others which I refer to so we don’t rehash what’s already been penned down are:
Furthermore as per the Internet Watch Foundation, 2021 has been the worst year on record for Child Sexual Abuse Online 😱😱💔💔
” The Internet Watch Foundation reported its worst year on record for child sexual abuse online in 2021 as it confirmed 252,000 URLs containing images or videos of children being sexually abused, compared with 153,000 in the previous year.
As parents we need to protect our children at all costs. So here is how..
- Communication is key ie healthy and what I call Linear Communication and not Vertical Communication. Linear means talking to someone at their level so they feel comfortable to communicate and Vertical means talking down and ultimately makes one uncomfortable to communicate.
- It is your business as the parent of a child to know what is happening in their lives, what clothes they wear, what’s in the school bag, cupboard, pocket, under the bed, who they meet, who their friends are, what sites they visit online, what social media platforms they on etc
- It is your business and responsibility as a parent to protect, provide, nurture and love your children.
- It is Not your business or right to abuse them mentally, emotionally and physically in any way, form or shape. Children learn from what parents do and are affected accordingly and this will become actionable in their lives in the present and future .
- Human Trafficking and Gender based Violence does not only happen when the perpetrator and victim are physically present within the same space. It happens virtually too..which means over online platforms and to mention a few like WhatsApp, Instagram, Tik Tok, Facebook, Snapchat, YouTube, Messenger, Twitter, Gaming Platforms, Internet Sites, etc
So we are not all tech savvy and able to protect our children online ourselves but help is out there to assist us in doing so. ACT Africa believes in bringing tangible solutions to the Awareness and Education we came across one such tangible solution to assist with protecting your children online which is the Bark tech platform which offers this help –
We strongly encourage you to go through it, see how it works, download the app and get started with protecting your children.
Furthermore, should you wish to assist us to continue to Save lives through Awareness and Education, please Donate. We cannot do this without your help…Our banking details are:
Account holder: Awareness for Child Trafficking Africa (ACT Africa)
Bank: First National Bank
Branch Code 256055
Swift Code FIRNZAJJ
Email Proof of Donation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Click on the Link Below
Please note, all donations/sponsorship to ACT Africa is tax deductible and a Tax Certificate will be issued upon request as per Section 18A of the Income Tax Act of 1962 of South Africa.
Written by: Hilary Leong